Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Grandma's New Fence

My mom loves working in the yard.  She also has a neighbor that has big dogs which she is scared of.  So we did some investigating and pricing and decided that it won't be that hard to build a wooden fence.  I am a do it yourself kind of girl and I said it doesn't look that hard.  All we have to do is rent an auger (to dig the holes), put up the posts and then attach the pre-made panels.

I can honestly say, I have never worked so hard in my life!  Apparently, Gaston County used to be one big rock quarry, seriously.  And digging a 3 foot hole no matter what you are using is hard.  I convinced my brother-in-law Aaron to help me.  I had everything planned out.  We started over a holiday weekend (so we could finish in one weekend).  Day one we made great progress, it was hard but we didn't really have too much trouble.  Day two we started hitting the rock bed.  This made things very difficult.  By day three we were looking for help.  We convinced my daughter's boyfriend to help us and then I called my husband, when he got off work and had him come help dig the last few holes.  Finally, by late afternoon we had all the holes dug and posts installed.  We put in 18 posts!


I took one extra day off from work and Aaron and I put up all the panels the next day.  I have to admit the finished product looks amazing.  All the hard work was worth the end result.  What a beautiful addition to the yard!


No comments:

Post a Comment